Below is a general guide to help you get started with the Sagas of the Wild West RPG. If you need help, please contact a friendly staff member via PM, our Contacts Us form, Discord, or add your question to our Help Me! forum. We will respond as soon as real life allows.
Premise, Setting and Plot
Sagas of the Wild West is a roleplaying game based on the classic American television and movie westerns of yesteryear (1950s, 1960s, early 1970s). Although we want to remain true to history as much as possible, Sagas takes a more cinematic approach to it. If you want your character to be a clean freak with a winning smile and sweet breath, no one is going to correct you. Major historical events and people will not be altered. Minor alterations can be found in the lore documents.
The RPG is set in a fictionalized version of the town of Kalispell in the Montana Territory. Sagas’ written stories start in 1875. We also provide forums for writing character flashback stories set prior to 1875. The plots are done on an episode-by-episode and character-by-character basis. There will usually be a central plot in each episode as well as numerous smaller character plots. We encourage everyone to participate in creating and planning episode and character plots. For more information on plotting and planning, see our Ruses & Intrigues forums.
The following links will direct you to the board documentation you are required to read before hitting the register button.
- RPG Rules: A must-read for all new members!
- Character Roles: A general listing of some available character roles.
- Sagas and the American Civil War: Just so you know where Sagas stands on the issues surrounding the American Civil War. It will keep things…civil!
Recommended reading and quick links to help you get oriented.
- Sagas Lore Index: Sagas does not have much in the way of lore to wade through. You should familiarize yourself with Kalispell, Fort Kalispell, and Whitefish.
- Location Glossary: This is a good way for quickly getting oriented with our fictional and real places.
- Maps: Just so you can see where those fictional places are!
- Wanted Characters: Here you will find characters that other members have requested. This is also where you would request a character once you’ve joined the RPG.
- Character Directory: It is highly recommended that you read through some of the approved characters’ pages.
- The majority of scenes written at Sagas should be written in the limited, third person point of view. Your scene should contain only the information that the character could logically know. Some storyteller scenes will be written in omniscient voice.
- Sagas allows post-by-post writing. However, we prefer interactive scenes with intensive dialog to be written jointly (aka joint posting or JPs).
- Do not change your JP writing partners’ posts without their explicit permission!
- Long scenes should be broken into 1,000-1,500 word posts for ease of reading.
- You need to alert your writing partner(s) of tags. Please do this by mentioning them using a combination of their OOC alias and the character name that is tagged. Example: @Stormwolfe tags for Shade Harper. You can also leave tags in our Discord #tags channel. Do an @discordtag (i.e. @Stormwolfe#xxxx) and the link to the scene thread.
- Sagas’ stories are told in chronological order. Characters may be in more than one scene at a time, but they need to be in event consecutive order (i.e. Fred must meet Ethel before they get married and have babies). Therefore, if an episode plot event has not yet occurred (i.e. been written), you cannot write a scene that includes it.
Registering An Account
So, you’ve read everything you need to read and still want to join! Awesome! It’s easy. Just follow the steps below.
- Register your OOC Alias account by clicking Sign Up at the top right of the main page or at the bottom of the Welcome Guest greeting. You will not register your character account until after the bio is completed and approved. We’ll tell you when! A staff member will need to approve your account. Please be patient.
- You have two weeks from the date of registration to complete your first character page.
You need to have a complete and approved character bio in order to start writing. Your main character’s page needs to be reasonably detailed. Our Character Creation form is a combination of fixed static fields and free-form editor fields. You may complete your character’s page online or you can download the form and work on it offline.
Your character’s page will be created for you. All you will need to do is complete the fields.
- PM Stormwolfe or leave the following information in the #help channel on Discord.
- Character’s first name, last name and nickname (if any)
- Playby’s name (if known) and the character they portrayed that you are using.
- When the page is set-up, the link will be PM’d to you or DM’d via Discord.
- After you have completed the bio, PM Stormwolfe or leave a message in #help on Discord.
So, Sparky, your character’s bio is complete and approved. Staff will create your character account and PM you the details. All you will need to do is link the account to your OOC account.
Please note that IPS (our forums) do not allow multiple accounts on one email address. Therefore, we have an email domain that we use for character accounts.
- Go to your account settings (click on your user name at the top of the page).
- On the bottom left, click on Linked Accounts.
- Fill in the information under Link an Account (your character name or its email and password).
- Click Sign In and Voila! Your accounts are linked.
- You will now see a drop down author’s list that will let you select who to post from when you are creating a new post or replying to one.
If you would rather switch accounts rather than use the dropdown author’s list…
- Click the chain icon to the right of your username at the top of the page.
- Choose the character you want to sign in as.
- Click Sign In.
- To change back, click on your username. Choose Switch Back to “account name”.
At the top of most forums, you will see clickable Guidelines and Notes. These are here to help you so that you don’t have to look all over the site for forum-specific information. We do not require that you track open and closed scenes or use the plotting forums. You can hit people up for plotting in Discord or use the forums in Ruses & Intrigues. It is preferred that you post episode ideas (plots) in the Episode Planning forum since staff will have to work with you to add it to the story lineup.
Sagas’ admin staff and the other members are always happy to help you, so don’t be afraid to ask. You may have to be patient as we are scattered in various time zones.
Note: Please be patient when contacting staff or posting questions to the forum. We are more than happy to assist you. However, we cannot be online 24/7.
Ready to join the site and create your character! Awesome! Head on over to the RPG Site. We encourage you to head to our Discord live chat too!